In 1906, the Electric Utility began operations by installing a city street lighting system. In 1912, the City installed a 225 hp. diesel-generating unit and began furnishing electric light and power for domestic and commercial purposes. In 1913, another 225 hp. diesel unit was added to meet increasing demands. The continuing demand for electricity resulted in the installation of a 600 kW generator in 1930. The total capacity of the plant at this time was 3600 kW. The first two River Street steam turbines went on line in 1949, and were rated at 4000 kW each. This provided the Utility with additional capacity and for maintenance outages and emergencies. A third unit, with a rated capacity of 7500 kW, was built in 1956, and another unit with a capacity of 13,680 kW was installed in 1963. In 1966, the Kaukauna and Menasha Electric Utilities began a study for interconnection of the two systems. In 1969, the Melissa Substation was constructed to facilitate the Kaukauna-Menasha interconnection and serve new development in the city; this was the first interconnection between municipally owned systems. In 1980, Menasha Electric Utility became one of the 30 member-owners of WPPI Energy who has supplied the electric requirements of Menasha since November 1981.
Menasha installed a public water system in 1905 which consisted of a brick building housing two 75 horsepower diesel engines driving triplex pumps drawing water from the Fox River and supplying the distribution system of mains, services, and hydrants. From 1995-1999 several improvements were made to include installation of steel baffling and rebuilding of filters which improved water quality and increased capacity by 25%. During this time the chlorination system was upgraded from liquid chlorine to sodium hypochlorite which helped to improve disinfection and public safety. In 2006, the City of Menasha approved a $12.8M water treatment plant addition designed to meet upcoming Safe Drinking Water Standards. This project was completed in 2008 and has added new water filters, granular activated carbon filtering, and ultraviolet disinfection. In 2006, the City of Menasha approved a $12.8M water treatment plant addition designed to meet upcoming Safe Drinking Water Standards. This project was completed in 2008 and has added new water filters, granular activated carbon filtering, and ultraviolet disinfection.