Dispute Procedure

If you have questions about your bill, other utility matters, or have received a service disconnection notice, please call Menasha Utilities first. If you have past due billing, our staff will attempt to work with you on a payment plan. 

If you are not satisfied with our explanation or the payment arrangement, please call the Public Service Commission (PSC) at (800) 225-7729. Service will not be disconnected while the PSC reviews the dispute. After its review, the PSC will contact you and attempt to reach an agreement that is acceptable to all parties.